Skilled Trades: A Career You Can Build On
The Skilled Trades: A Career You Can Build On campaign, a joint initiative between the Canadian Apprenticeship Forum - Forum canadien sur l’apprentissage (CAF-FCA) and Skills/Compétences Canada (S/CC), undertook regional consultations across Canada to discuss a range of challenges, solutions and grassroots initiatives taking place to help promote skilled trades and apprenticeship. Among the challenges identified during these consultations was the difficulty in getting employers to register apprentices.
The goal of this guide is to assist organizations with their outreach efforts by providing resources and tips that have been tried and tested in the field. Specifically, this guide provides information on how to:
- Identify and respond to common objections to registering an apprentice.
- Identify and prioritize employers that should be approached regarding apprenticeship.
- Develop a “pitch” that will convince an employer to register an apprentice.
- Identify the types of follow up activities that should be done with employers.
- Organize an employer outreach program.