A Guide for Educators who Work with Adult Learners
Authors: Nunavut Literacy Council
Many adult learners enrolled in adult literacy and adult basic education programs experience learning difficulties, and different teaching and learning methods are required to help these learners. The Nunavut Literacy Council has partnered with learning disabilities and literacy consultant Pat Hatt to develop this guide to help literacy facilitators and adult educators deal with this challenge.
This guide offers adult educators the following information:
- the Learning Disability Association of Canada’s official definition of learning disabilities;
- descriptions of learning disabilities for people who are not experts in the field, including information on the difference between learning disabilities and developmental disabilities, definitions of learning disability terms and descriptions of Hatt's three broad learning disability clusters;
- case histories of Nunavut learners with learning disabilities including literacy demonstrations and accommodations;
- fact sheets on learning disabilities, fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and attention deficit disorder; and
- a resource list for further information on learning disabilities.