Authors: ABC CANADA
The recruitment and retention of adult learners in literacy and upgrading programs remain major challenges. As well, there is little nationally representative information about the experience of people who attempt to access literacy services but are unsuccessful.
This document reports on a study conducted for ABC CANADA, in partnership with Literacy BC. It addresses some important questions at a national level, such as:
• What percentage of those who attempt to access services ultimately enrol in programs?
• What are the reasons some people do not enrol?
• How long do people have to wait to start a program or begin meeting with a tutor?
• What do people think about the programs?
• What percentage of people drop out of programs?
• What are the factors associated with dropping out?
• How can we increase enrolment and retention in literacy and upgrading programs?