Series: Beyond Worksheets
Literacy practitioners across Ontario have continually requested more professional development and resources to support numeracy facilitation in their programs. Metro Toronto Movement for Literacy (MTML) hosted the workshop, “Facilitating Numeracy: An Introduction,” developed and delivered by Tom Ciancone in August 2001. The purpose of the project was to develop an approach for contextualizing the teaching of numeracy in adult literacy and workforce literacy environments. This report uses an approach that sees numeracy as social practice and adopts a holistic way of learning.
The report is divided into eight chapters:
2. What are the numeracy needs of adults in literacy programs?
3. Developing an approach to numeracy
4. A Social and Holistic Approach to Numeracy: Propositions and Perspectives
5. Modelling Numeracy as Social Practice Through Holistic Learning
6. Adopting A Social and Holistic Approach
7. Direction Toward Adopting A Social and Holistic Approach
8. Next Steps for Adult Numeracy Practice in Ontario